To get service at a location where no electric service has previously existed:
1. Fill out and submit an Application for Membership. Copy of photo ID is required. You will also be responsible for a connect fee of $75 and a deposit. (Deposit may be waived if certain exemption requirements are met.)
- Residential Application for Membership
- Solicitud Residencial para Membresía
- Commercial Application for Membership
- Deposit Policy
- Credit Check Authorization Form
*Please note that when establishing a membership or account in the name of a commercial entity, the company must be a corporation, or articles of incorporation must be provided.
2. Obtain proper permit and 911 address from county.
3. Meet with a Sam Houston EC inspector to discuss routing of service, construction and easement, as necessary.
- Routing of service and location of meter loop will be discussed
- Inspector will calculate cost to build service
- If easement is needed, inspector will provide the form to be completed by the member
- Inspector will provide a meter base (for residential services)
In some cases, underground service may be more affordable than overhead. Underground service can also improve reliability and look better. See the Line Extension Policy for details and ask a Sam Houston EC inspector if you’d like more information.
4. Inspector will send an invoice to the member. Member will send required paperwork and invoice payment to Sam Houston EC.
5. Notify Sam Houston EC when meter loop is installed.
6. Right-of-way that needs to be cleared may be cut by the member or by Sam Houston EC. (Applicable charges may apply and member is responsible for disposal of debris.)
7. Sam Houston EC builds and/or connects electric service.
For a detailed checklist to becoming a Sam Houston EC member, download our "New Service Checklist."
When the application is processed, you will receive a unique customer number. From that point forward, each account you establish as a member will always be associated with your unique customer number.
An Application for Membership is required for all new Sam Houston EC members, or when membership has been inactive for three consecutive months.