Co-op Member Wins ‘Who Powers You’ Contest
At Sam Houston Electric Cooperative, we do more than just deliver electricity. We also believe it’s important to recognize the people who power our lives.
That’s why, in partnership with Touchstone Energy Cooperatives, in late 2016 we supported the #WhoPowersYou contest. This was an opportunity to honor inspirational people in our community. Turns out, we had a lot of inspiration right here in East Texas.
Ray Gearing, of Livingston, is 91 years old. Yes, he looks much younger. But the most amazing thing about Ray is that he serves his community with the energy and enthusiasm of a youngster. Ray serves others because that’s what’s in his heart.
His commitment to community was such an inspiration he was voted as one of the winners in the #WhoPowersYou contest.
Ray co-founded the local Habitat for Humanity organization, and served as president, vice-president, president emeritus and volunteer executive director. Over the course of Ray’s time with Habitat, 18 homes have been built for deserving families. To raise financial support for the organization, Ray organized the annual Challenge Walk for Habitat. He led a group that walked 25 miles over four days and raised more than $20,000 for Habitat. (And Ray continued walking in the event into his late 80s!) [Photo].
Ray also serves through the Livingston Rotary Club. He has been named a Rotary International Paul Harris Fellow, the organization’s highest honor. He has served as president and board member, receiving a District Presidential Citation and recognition on the Walk of Fame.
Through his involvement with Rotary, Ray founded R.E.A.D. (Reading Encourages Advanced Development), a not-for-profit organization that has provided age-appropriate books to more than 1,000 children. Those children receive a book every month, and the books are provided free of charge by R.E.A.D.
He also served on the committee that established “Don’t Meth with Me,” a program of dedicated volunteers who have educated thousands of fifth-grade students about the dangers of using methamphetamines. And their important message is making a difference in our communities.
Congratulations, Ray! Your lifetime of service represents the epitome of what #WhoPowersYou is all about.
- Preparing for Hurricane Season
- Happy Birthday, Sam Houston EC!
- May is National Electrical Safety Month
- Celebrate Earth Day!
- Lives on the Line: #ThankALineman
- mySamHouston Accounts Unavailable on March 2 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Co-op Member Wins ‘Who Powers You’ Contest
- Employees Share Christmas Gifts with Community
- ORU Awards First Grants to Local Nonprofit Organizations
- The #WhoPowersYou Contest: Help Spread Positive Energy
- Important News Regarding Credit Card Payments
- It’s Capital Credit Time Again for Members
- Phone Service Outage Affecting Co-op Calls
- Energy Efficiency in Your Home
- Credit Card Processing Update