Plan for a Safe and Happy Holiday
The month of July is a favorite for many people. It’s the middle of summer, the kids are out of school and of course, we celebrate Independence Day! Typically on the Fourth, we celebrate our nation’s independence with grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, homemade ice cream and other sweet treats, and last but not least, fireworks. This is a time for fellowship with family and friends, but at Sam Houston Electric Cooperative, we also want to make sure our members focus on safety.
To ensure you have the best Fourth of July possible, we would like to remind you about a few important safety tips from The American Red Cross. Nothing says “Fourth of July” like a spectacular fireworks display. The safest way to enjoy this part of the celebration is to head to a local fireworks show. But, if you want to put on your own show at home, be sure to follow these safety tips:
- Always follow the instructions on fireworks’ packaging and never give fireworks to small children.
- Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
- Make sure to wear protective eyewear when lighting fireworks.
- Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight “a dud.”
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
- Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials.
Cookouts are a great way to bring folks together on the Fourth. Whether you are grilling in your backyard or at a community park, make sure your feast includes a generous portion of fun and a side helping of safety. We recommend the following safety tips:
- Supervise your grill at all times.
- Use the proper tools for cooking on a grill.
- Never add charcoal starter fluid when the coals have already been ignited.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using grills. Fireworks and cookouts wouldn’t be complete without a sunny day. Here’s hoping we have good weather, and if we do, make sure you are practicing sun safety:
- Use a broad spectrum SPF sunscreen and reapply often.
- Protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Be on the lookout for signs of heat stroke (hot red skin; changes in consciousness; rapid, weak pulse; rapid, shallow breathing).
If you’re heading to the beach, make sure everyone knows how to swim in the surf and only swim at a lifeguarded beach, within the designated swimming area. The American Red Cross also recommends young children and inexperienced swimmers wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket. Keep a close watch and constant attention on children and adults while at the beach. Wave action can cause someone to lose their footing, even in shallow water. Keep alert for local weather conditions. Check to see if any warning signs or flags are posted.
However you choose to celebrate, Sam Houston EC wishes you a safe and Happy Fourth of July!
- Co-op Member Wins ‘Who Powers You’ Contest
- Employees Share Christmas Gifts with Community
- ORU Awards First Grants to Local Nonprofit Organizations
- The #WhoPowersYou Contest: Help Spread Positive Energy
- Important News Regarding Credit Card Payments
- It’s Capital Credit Time Again for Members
- Phone Service Outage Affecting Co-op Calls
- Energy Efficiency in Your Home
- Credit Card Processing Update
- Office Closed on Independence Day, July 4
- Plan for a Safe and Happy Holiday
- Generators: Powering Safely After a Storm
- Colston Earns Professional Engineer License from State of Texas
- Sam Houston EC Wins Nine National Awards for Communications
- May is Electrical Safety Month