In the early 1940s, the Co-op had jus t over 600 members. Today, Sam Houston Electric Cooperative serves 55,000 members and 74,000 meters across parts of 10 c ounties.
MILES OF LINE
After obtaining a Rural Electrification Administration loan, Sam Houston Electric Cooperative began construction of its first power lines, 242 miles, on Jan. 15, 1940, which would serve 661 members in Polk, San Jacinto, Walker and Liberty counties.
By 1943 Sam Houston EC had 1,306 members. In 1951 that number jumped to 7,500 consumers, and the Co-op had 2,300 miles of line.
©2000-2020 Sam Houston Electric Cooperative, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.